Thursday, October 15, 2015

Paninis, Soup, and Sandwiches, Oh My!

Hi everyone!

I'm currently writing to you from a warm window seat at the Fraser Street Deli, which is a great little place around the corner from the Dunkin' Donuts on College Ave.

I was following my usual routine where I get a much needed iced coffee from Dunkin' after my Italian class. Mama mia é delizioso! I might be addicted to coffee, but anywho, back to my story. It was around lunch time so I decided to find a new place to write about for my blog.

I'm still not familiar with all of the eateries around town, so I did a quick google search on healthy restaurants in State College. After I waded through the all of chains and fast-food places (how are those considered healthy??) I came across a small deli that claimed the title of Happy Valley's most famous sandwiches. When I realized I could literally see it from where I was sitting I was sold!

One second, my food just came out, so I'm going to dig in and I'll continue writing after I'm done!

...
...

Alright, I'm back.

If I hadn't already known what I was looking for before I went there, I would have walked right past the unassuming facade without thinking twice. Inside, the atmosphere is really laid back, and when the smiling waitress seated me I immediately felt at ease.

I know that when I do a restaurant review I usually don't do an in-depth analysis of the atmosphere, but I feel like this place deserves it. I could tell the staff knew what they were doing, and didn't put on any pomp and circumstance. At the same time they were quite friendly and greeted a few of the customers by name just while I was there. The establishment is a Penn State deli through and through: not only are there jerseys hanging on the wall, but all of the menu options are named after PSU athletes.


Okay, so now that I'm done gushing about the place, let's get onto the most important thing: FOOD! Their menu is huge, encompassing items such as breakfast, soups, paninis, sandwiches, more sandwiches, wraps, salads, and even more sandwiches.

Did I mention I'm Italian? Well I am, and growing up eating authentic Italian food has made me very particular about my paninis. I like to try out different ones whenever I can, so I put theirs to the test. I couldn't decide which one I wanted though, so after asking what their most popular was, I went for the Everett Shuman. It's a chicken pesto sandwich that has chicken breast, mozzarella, basil pesto, red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic spice on it. It comes with a pickle and a choice of side or upgrade (other options you have to pay extra for). While I was reading reviews for the Deli, I came across one saying she is a regular and highly recommends that you do the potato salad upgrade, and I've got to say she was 100% right.

I was pleasantly surprised when my order came out in about five minutes. After snapping a few pics, I dug in.


Everything was absolutely delicious! The potato salad was definitely a good choice: perfectly seasoned and slightly tangy, it was just how I like it. Even though I loved the potato salad, ultimately it was the panini that made the meal a real winner. The ciabatta bread it was on was out of this world with the crust nice and crunchy while the inside was warm and chewy. All of the ingredients flawlessly complemented each other, and no one flavor was too overwhelming.

Not wanting my experience to end just yet, I ordered a cup of their creamy broccoli and cheese soup to go. I honestly think this was the best decision I've ever made. The soup was freaking fantastic, and I fully plan to go there tomorrow so that I can get a bowl of it.

The only downside I found while I was at the Fraser Street Deli was that it was a little pricey, but it was worth every penny! I absolutely loved my experience there, so if you're looking for some delicious sandwiches and a great atmosphere I would check it out!

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment