Friday, September 25, 2015

The Pollock Guide

Hi everyone!

So in the last two weeks I reviewed a delicious restaurant and I showed you some healthy dorm snacks, so this week I'm going to highlight some great tips and strategies for using the dining commons! Specifically, I'm going to be focusing on the Pollock Dining Commons.

Out of all of the commons I've checked out, Pollock is my favorite (and not just because it's right outside of my dorm, although that does help)! Disclosure: I still haven't been to Redifer (South) yet, so I can't say Pollock is the best.

One of my favorite aspects of Pollock is that it has a smoothie bar called swirl. Each day they'll have a different fruity flavor for you to try that's a great energy booster! For example, they had an out of this world blueberry banana smoothie today that was made with frozen yogurt. Be careful though! If you're trying to avoid sweets and desserts, the smoothie bar is right next to where they keep the freshly baked cookies. I know I've broken down a couple of times and sampled some of those warm, chocolaty morsels. 
 My wrap was too stuffed
with veggies for them to cut it!

Something else that everyone should take advantage of (unless you're eating gluten free of course) is the sub/wrap counter. If you want a sub there are either white or wheat rolls, and if you're in the mood for a wrap you can choose from a myriad of flavors including my favorite, honey wheat. Toasted or cold, you can select your meat, cheese and toppings, creating a healthy alternative to pizza or a burger.

This salmon and salad are
good alternative options!
So to understand the sheer coincidence of my next topic, you're going to need a little background. If you read my first post, you'll know that the ex-husband of one of my mom's friends, also the father of my little sister's best friend, is an amazing sushi chef (the wife was the one that recommended I go to the Japanese restaurant I reviewed). For a reason unbeknownst to me, he currently works in the Pollock Dining Commons (how bizarre is that??). So, occasionally there will be either delectable rolls or scrumptious sushi made-to-order by him. I highly recommend that everyone partakes in this delicacy, especially if you've never had sushi before. Who knows? Maybe you'll discover a new favorite food!

My last point is on self-control and healthy eating strategies. I know that the desserts, pizza, burgers, and fries are always tempting and hard to resist, but if you want to beat the freshman fifteen, resist you must! A good strategy is to peruse your options and plan your meal before you grab anything. This way, you can check out what's available to you besides these aforementioned treats, and stay on track with eating healthy. Also, it's a good idea to set a limit on how many portions you put on your plate. Too much of a good thing and all that! I have a rule that when I go to the commons I'm only allowed one "unhealthy" item each meal. Trust me, you will thank yourself for using these tips when you can still button your pants in a few months!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you found my tips and strategies helpful in defeating the freshman fifteen!


5 comments:

  1. You set out a really clear timeline for your post from the beginning which was awesome, it made it all super easy to read and follow the whole time. From someone who lives in South, I have to say that Pollock is still the best, by the way. However, Redifer has a sushi bar that still isn't regularly open (it's kind of depressing) and they also have a really good Panini bar, you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another great post! I'm always by Pollock (although I unfortunately live in East so I must endure that food most of the time) and I regret to say I have never gone into the Pollock commons to eat! I really want to give it a try now, and I can apply your other helpful hints while in the East dining commons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great tips! I really like the idea of planning out your meal before you grab something to eat because too often I find myself walking through the dining hall just grabbing the most random assortment of food because I don't know all of my options. I have been to Pollock a couple of times, but I have never tried the sub/wrap station. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I go to Pollock I am so overwhelmed (I'm partial to Redifer- the sushi place opened today and you have to try it). This post helped me think of a new way to go around pollock and a new thing to try there- the deli. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always eaten at Findlay but after this post I may have to start eating at Pollock! Your blog was funny and refreshing and also very helpful. I will definitely use some of your tips next time I go to the commons!

    ReplyDelete