Friday, September 11, 2015

Tadashi: Delectable and Nutritious

Hi everyone, and welcome to my blog!

I'm going to be outlining important tips to help you beat the abhorred, "freshman fifteen". I'll touch on topics such as delicious, healthy restaurants around the State College area, how to use the dining commons to your advantage, nutritious snacks that you can easily prepare in your dorm room, and other helpful hints that pop up along the way!

Last weekend when I visited home, it was recommended to me and my mom that we try Tadashi, a Japanese restaurant on College Ave. I had the impression the woman who suggested it was a reliable source. She was married to a master sushi chef from Japan who worked at a renowned restaurant in New York for ten years, and owned his own business for a time. So, when we drove back to Penn State with two of my siblings, that was our first stop.

My reason for choosing Tadashi is that there are a host of health benefits associated with sushi. High in omega-3 fatty acids, sushi is part of a Japanese diet that is said to increase life expectancy. Rice vinegar, a preservative typically used in nigiri, has antibacterial properties that aid in digestion and even lowers your risk of high blood pressure. The seaweed used to wrap the rolls, also called nori, is highly nutritious. It contains proteins, minerals and vitamins A, B, and C, that helps prevent cholesterol building up in blood vessels. In addition, sushi also has a low calorie count, as long as you steer clear of the fried rolls and mayonnaise rich sauces!

Walking into Tadashi was somewhat a surprise. It appears to be an authentic Japanese restaurant, featuring a sushi bar, a plethora of bamboo, and sake bottles lined up on the wall (even though it's BYOB). The trap/pop remix music however, throws off the whole traditional sushi bar impression. I enjoyed the atmosphere, but they are catering to college students, so it makes complete sense that I would like it.

After taking our seats, we proceeded to debate over the menu for a solid thirty minutes (we take our food VERY seriously in the Hine family). Finally settling on a multitude of dishes to share, we placed our order. My sister and I ordered three different types of rolls including the Rainbow Roll, the Miami Beach Roll, and the Tobiko Roll. My brother ordered Chashu Don, meaning Pork BBQ over rice. And lastly, my mom ordered the Sushi Sashimi Tasting, which includes eight pieces of nigiri (raw fish served over a molded ball of rice), fifteen pieces of sashimi (raw slices of fish), and a chef special roll.


Almost everything was marvelous! The rolls we ordered were all very different. My favorite was the Miami Beach roll, which was topped with Mango, adding a sweet component that I loved. The most interesting of the rolls however was the Tobiko Roll. Tobiko are small fish eggs that add a burst of flavor with every bite. Although I'm always hesitant about partaking in straight up raw fish, my mom's Sushi Sashimi Tasting was out of this world. Each piece of delicately sliced fish melted in my mouth, only adding to its piquancy. The only part of the meal I wasn't a fan of was my brother's Chashu Don: it made my stomach feel greasy after eating it, and the flavor was sub-par at best. Although I didn't enjoy that portion, overall Tadashi was a great experience, and I would highly recommend it as your next sushi stop!

If you're interested in looking at the menu, here's the link!
http://tadashipa.com/index.php

5 comments:

  1. I am reading this right before lunch and my mouth is actually watering. I love sushi, so I appreciate a recommendation because I still don't know that many restaurants downtown. It is nice to know that sushi has so many nutritional benefits, which will just give me an excuse to eat it more. I have been anxiously waiting for the sushi place in the Redifer Commons to open so I can finally have some, but until then I may have to check out Tadashi for myself (assuming it is within a college student's budget.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, you made me tell my roommate that we are going to Tadashi sometime soon! I really like how you included the health benefits to sushi, it made me look at the food I love in a different way. Also, I'm glad you included a description of the restaurant it allowed me to picture the atmosphere and made me want to give the restaurant a try even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not gonna lie, I actually squealed when I saw that this post was about sushi. I've been meaning to go to a good sushi place soon with my roomie and after your review I'll definitely be checking out Tadashi! Your descriptions were very detailed and the pictures of the sushi were a lovely touch! I can't wait to see what other food you try out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone else Tadashi is now on my to do list! I'm not a huge sushi person, but this place sounds too good to pass up, plus I have yet to find a good Japanese restaurant since I lived in Japan. You sound very confident in this as well, which makes me just want more! Thanks, well done, and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds of home, one of our families favorite places to go out to eat is a sushi and sashimi place. One of these days I will have to get some friends together to head to Tadashi, it will be added to a list of restaurants in State College on my to go list.

    ReplyDelete